Implementing a Workflow Management Solution to the NHS
- Control of budgetary allocation at multiple levels
- Error-free and audit trailed approval/rejection process
- A single integrated system for all users
- Date and status based management
Each year, the London Strategic Health Authority procures professional and personal development courses from 12 Higher Education Institutes for 70 NHS Trusts in the London area.
Logic Software developed a web-based budgeting and workflow system to help the SHA create and manage the contractual agreement between the Trusts, Education Providers and the Strategic Health Authority.
The Workflow Challenge
The challenge was to create a secure and controlled environment for Education Providers to list available courses and allow appropriate authorised procurement of those courses, from user (with different levels of purchasing authority, within each Trust.
The system also had to carefully control budgetary constraints at all levels to ensure that an overspend was not possible and, in addition, manage a complex, aggregated course approval/rejection process.
The software platform developed by Logic Software gives each individual user of the system a dashboard view and reporting tool for their specific domain.
An Education Provider has the ability to bulk upload and edit courses whilst also having fine grain control to add/edit courses through a wizard-based approach. Any course procurement by the Trusts starts an approval/rejection process, which the Education Provider is ultimately responsible for.
Each Trust using the system can search for courses to commission using free-text searches, advanced field-based searches and search result-filtering functionality. Once appropriate courses are found, they can be selected for commissioning and started on the approval process.
The Strategic Health Authority can control high level budget allocation and de-centralise lower levels of Trust-based monetary distribution to appropriate Education Training Leads and Trust Clusters.
- Ensures that budget allocation and spend responsibilities are distributed across appropriate levels of user, de-centralising the whole process, which results in a huge decrease in time spent administering the process
- An electronic error-free process which controls the end-to-end approval/rejection workflow
- A single integrated system for all users removes the need for any external, and untracked, communication which could lead to misunderstandings and errors
- Provides complete control of the contractual cut-off dates and system status
- Prevents budget overspend and misunderstanding of course contracts
Streamline Your Operations with Workflow Management
In the fast-paced world of business, staying organised and efficient is paramount. This is where workflow management steps in as a crucial solution. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the ins and outs of workflow management, its benefits, and answer common questions that people have when seeking a workflow management solution.
Understanding Workflow Management
Workflow management is a systematic approach to managing and optimising business processes. It involves the design, execution, and automation of workflows to improve efficiency, reduce errors, and enhance productivity. Workflow management platforms are versatile tools that can be tailored to various industries and business processes.
Key Features of Workflow Management
When considering a workflow management solution, it’s essential to understand the key features that set it apart. These features include:
- Access Control: Workflow management systems offer robust access control mechanisms, ensuring that only authorised personnel can interact with specific processes and data.
- Automated Workflows: The core of workflow management is automation. Automated workflows enable tasks to be seamlessly executed without manual intervention, saving time and reducing errors.
- Drag and Drop: Many workflow management tools provide an intuitive drag-and-drop interface, allowing users to design and customise workflows with ease.
- Real-Time Monitoring: Workflow management platforms provide real-time visibility into ongoing processes, enabling teams to track progress and make informed decisions.
- Optimisation: Continuous improvement is at the heart of workflow management. These systems facilitate the optimisation of workflows, making them more efficient over time.
Benefits of Workflow Management
Workflow management offers numerous advantages for businesses, including:
- Improved Efficiency: By automating repetitive tasks and standardising processes, businesses can operate more efficiently.
- Error Reduction: Automation reduces the chances of human errors, leading to improved accuracy.
- Enhanced Collaboration: Workflow management tools enable team members to collaborate seamlessly on tasks and projects.
- Business Process Management: Workflow management is a key component of business process management, allowing businesses to model, analyse, and optimise their processes.
Common Questions About Workflow Management
Q1: What types of workflows can be managed with workflow management tools?
A1: Workflow management tools are versatile and can be used for various types of workflows, including approval workflows, document management, project management, and more. They can be customised to suit specific business needs.
Q2: How do I create custom workflows for my business processes?
A2: Most workflow management systems offer a visual design interface, allowing users to create custom workflows by dragging and dropping elements. These elements represent tasks, decisions, and actions within the workflow.
Q3: Can workflow management tools be integrated with other software applications?
A3: Yes, many workflow management tools offer integration capabilities. They can be seamlessly integrated with other software solutions, such as project management software or project management tools, to streamline operations further.
Q4: What automation features are typically available in workflow management platforms?
A4: Workflow management platforms often include automation features like task assignment, notification triggers, conditional logic, and data routing, enabling the automation of complex processes.
Q5: How can workflow management help manage projects effectively?
A5: Workflow management is a valuable tool for project management. It enables the creation of project-specific workflows, automates task assignment, monitors progress in real time, and ensures that project deadlines are met.
Choosing the Right Workflow Management System
When selecting a workflow management system for your business, consider your unique requirements, the scalability of the solution, and the level of support and training available. The right system should align with your business goals and seamlessly integrate into your existing software ecosystem.
To summarise, workflow management is a powerful tool for businesses looking to streamline their operations, automate processes, and achieve higher levels of efficiency. By leveraging the automation features and access control provided by workflow management platforms, businesses can optimise their workflows, reduce errors, and ultimately enhance productivity. Whether you’re in software development, project management, or any other industry, workflow management tools can be tailored to meet your specific needs.